Our Board of Directors is responsible for the National Ageing Research Institute's overall performance and compliance, providing strategic direction, effective governance and leadership.
- Associate Professor Michael MurrayMB BS MPH FRACP FAAG (Hon)PresidentAssociate Professor Michael Murray has a broad range of management, clinical and clinical teaching experience in the area of aged care. He is the medical director of Continuing Care and head of Geriatric Medicine at Austin Health, Associate Professor at Melbourne University and Adjunct Associate Professor Australian Centre for Evidence Based Aged Care, La Trobe University, and the University of Notre Dame. Associate Professor Murray holds a number of board and committee positions with a variety of health and educational institutions, including the position of Continence Foundation of Australia National President, which he has held since 2004.
- Derek McMillan GAICDBSc (Hons), Dip EdVice PresidentMr McMillan has held Executive and Board positions in Health and Ageing organisations since joining Australian Unity in 1999. Mr McMillan was Chief Executive Officer, Independent and Assisted Living at Australian Unity from 2005-2017, being responsible in that role for the operations and development of retirement villages, residential aged care, in-home care and disability services. In 2018 Mr McMillan founded Centennial Living, an organisation which assists developers and investors participate in Seniors Living by providing advisory expertise and operational capabilities across the value chain. Mr McMillan was a director of a number of Australian Unity subsidiaries, and held directorships with the Property Council of Australia and Leading Aged Services Australia – Victoria. In 2012 Mr McMillan was elected the inaugural chairman of the new retirement housing peak body, the Retirement Living Council, a position he held for 3 years.
- Richard GallinaBComm (Accounting) Grad Cert Innovation & EntrepreneurshipTreasurerMr Gallina has worked closely with businesses in the SME market providing accounting, taxation, compliance and management reporting services since commencing as an Accountant in 2006. With over ten years of hands-on experience (in both an outsourced and professional capacity) he has delivered strategic direction and been the catalyst for change and organisational efficiency. His most recent employment was as an accounting Director of BlueRock, a specialist entrepreneurial advisory firm. Founding Deke Consulting in 2018, an organisation which delivers commercial advice and strategic initiatives, all of which is underpinned by strong accounting and taxation acumen. He is a member of Chartered Accounts Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) and holds a post-graduate certificate in Entrepreneurship and innovation. Mr Gallina has been a director of the National Ageing Research Institute since 2014.
- Ms Maree McCabePsych Nurse, Grad Dip Psych Nursing, Grad Dip Bus Admin, M Bus Admin, GAICDMemberMs Maree McCabe is the Chief Executive Officer at Alzheimer's Australia Vic (since Oct-2010) and has a strong track record in championing strategic and operational change and creating effective stakeholder partnerships. Ms McCabe has held Executive Manager and Chief Executive Officer roles with comprehensive experience spanning the acute psychiatric, health and ageing industries including The Leaper Corporation (TLC Aged Care) Melbourne, The Melbourne Clinic, St John of God Health Services Sydney and was a consultant for the Future Choices Management Service Melbourne. She was also an Australian Council of Healthcare Standards (ACHS) Surveyor.
- John WatersLLM, B ComMemberMr John Waters holds degrees in law and commerce from the University of Melbourne. He was admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in 1977. Mr Waters has extensive experience as a lawyer specialising in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, including contractual, trade practices and regulatory disputes. He was a partner with Mallesons Stephen Jacques, on of australia’s leading law firms from 1987 until his retirement in 2009. He became a board member of the National Ageing Research Institute in August 2016. He is also a board member of Australian Prostate Cancer Research.
- Associate Professor Briony DowBSW MA PhDDirectorAssociate Professor Briony Dow is Director of the National Ageing Research Institute (NARI) and Associate Professor of Ageing at the University of Melbourne. She is co-chair of the University’s Hallmark Ageing research Initiative and teaches a core subject in the Master of Ageing. At NARI, A/Prof Dow manages a program of research encompassing improving care for older people in Victorian health services, falls and balance, healthy ageing, diversity in ageing, ageing and mental health. Associate Professor Dow is the immediate past National President of the Australian Association of Gerontology.