As a national leader in ageing research, dedicated to improving the health and life of older people, we are all too aware of the significance of the current situation for our communities. We are particularly aware of the vulnerability of older people to COVID-19.
Our organisational response to COVID-19 is underpinned by the following principles:
- Maintaining staff physical and mental health
- Reducing risk to research participants
- Delivering on project outcomes as much as possible mindful of fast changing circumstances
- Following evidence-based advice provided by the Department of Health and the Australian Government
We are currently taking the following actions:
- Suspending all face to face data collection with older research participants until it is safe to resume
- Suspending all face to face training or data collection with aged care workers until safe to resume
- Encouraging staff who are able to work from home to do so, effective from Tuesday 24 March 2020 until at least Tuesday 14 April 2020
- Ensuring that social distance can be maintained at all times in the workforce
- Ensuring supply of hand sanitisers as well as usual hygiene protections in the workplace
- Conducting all meetings via zoom or alternative video or phone conferencing methods
- Otherwise continuing business as usual to the best of our ability in this volatile environment.
These are extremely difficult times for all of us here in Australia and beyond, but we will get through this together.
Where possible and safe to do so, our researchers will continue their work towards improving the lives of older people.
Our work will continue to play a vital role in ensuring resilience for the future.